AOK Forum - The Prop Den

Started by NoHumorMan, June 07, 2007, 04:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

From the index page I am able to see "Privileged Concept" with the topics PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS USED IN PUBLIC, 90 days and 100 posts later! and Priviliged Section Guidelines from the privileged section - hidden only, am I right assuming the board staff lounge and the other private forums are in there too ? If so then those permissions are set correctly

NoHumorMan

Display active topics is set to no in both of those sections.

When checking, then all the ones checked, even open forums, it still lists display active topics as set to no.

I sadly don't have time to check all sections of the forum, but if they are all set to no, why are they showing up in the active topics list at all?
No Humor Man - Corporation for Bad Swimmers

NoHumorMan

No, the two staff sections are up in the *Announcements & Feedback section*.

We have two privileged sections down in *Privileged Section - Hidden* as well as a admin only section called: *Archive*

Paul

Sorry, I didn't mentioned that they were announcements

Can you tell me what you have as in permissions for the "Privileged section- hidden" category please.

Easiest way to check is ...ACP > FORUMS > forum permissions > on the bottom one click on "Privileged section- hidden (+ subforums)"

select the user group registered user > by each of the listed sub forums click on advanced permissions, make sure each has the post tab open and take a screen shot for us.

NoHumorMan

Sadly I have to leave now, but please contact one of our other admins.

NoHumorMan

The issue seems to still be the active topics list.  Why does it display topics there when we have the particular forums set to NO in that setting regarding having topics from that section shown?  Where do we fix the view active topics list settings?

Paul

Did you do the same with the category " Privileged Section - Hidden " and check if active topics in subforums are displayed ?

Edit.
Got your pm and just noticed you have gone from your forum so I assume you have gone out as you said you would earlier... I will pop back later on mate.

NoHumorMan

I'm back.

I have now run through the list.  Both in all the parent forums and all the subforums and they are all listed as NO in the enable active topics option, so why it shows ANY topics in the active topics list is beyond me.  It shouldn't list any topics with these settings, so something is wrong.  Even the public sections of the forum is set to NO, but still show up in the active topics list.  phpBB-seo.com suggested a possible fix by resetting the software, but I have no clue how to do that or whether it would mess with the forum.  You can check out their suggestion of what to do on their support forum.

Paul

Hi, if you are ok till tomorrow I will recreate a similar scenario as yours on my test forum I have here and see if I can figure this out so those forum/subforum topics don't display in the active topics list.
Is there any chance you can make me an administrator so I can view how your permissions are set ?, its sometimes the quickest way if I can see what's going on first hand, you will just need to delete me from the admin group once I have done.

NoHumorMan

I will have to get approval for that from the other staff members, but will get back to you as quickly as possible on that.

Paul

Ok mate, I only need to look and I am staff here so I hope your other staff members can trust me

NoHumorMan

Oh, I think so.  We just have an agreement regarding important decisions such as this, so we all know what is going on at all times with our forum.  Due to the time difference between us it may not be until tomorrow I can get back with an answer - also, you would probably have to talk with another staff member - StarWars Collector - regarding the actual making you admin, as he helped me last time.

NoHumorMan

You should be good to go, I hope.  Damn there are loads and loads of options, it's ridiculous.

NoHumorMan

Hope we were able to grant you access, otherwise, please let us know.

Paul

Ok I think I have found the problem, Guests have read only permissions for the categories that the subforums for those topics are in, although they have no access to its subforums its possible that they are seeing what the topics in the subforums are (due to the read only access) but not able to read or access them (due to no access)

Its worth you having a look at this and changing them one by one checking back all the time just in case that does not work.

I will pop back later to see if that has made any difference