Author Topic: How to use HTML in posting and forum description  (Read 27749 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline freeforum

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:29:54 pm »
phpBB3 is more secure than the previous version (phpBB2). It doesn't allow you use HTML in forum description and posts. So if you would like to use HTML in forum description and posts, you have to save it as a BBCode.

NOTICE: For 'forum description', i mean for the description of each forum of your board, it's not board/site description. phpBB3 only allow plain text in site/board description, don't try to use HTML, you will get no result.

Follow instructions below to do it:
[LIST=1]
  • First, you have to know how to add/edit a BBCode.
  • Then, add a BBCode with these info: BBCode usage: [yourcode]{TEXT}[/yourcode], HTML replacement: Your HTML code, Help line: Text of the BBCode when your mouse is over, Settings: check on 'Display on posting page' if you would like to show it next to 'Font Colour' button on posting page so other users can use it.
    {TEXT}: must be in uppercase, it won't work if {text} in uppercase.
  • Now you can embed your new BBCode in posts or forum description.


Now, let practice a bit, try it on your forum to see how it works.
[LIST=1]
  • Log into your fourm as Administrator -> Click on 'Administration Control Panel' at the bottom of any pages -> Verify your administrator permission again.
  • Click on 'POSTING' tab -> click on 'BBCodes' under 'Messages' -> press on 'Add a new BBCode' button
    • For 'BBCode usage', enter:
      Code: [Select]
      [mycode1]{TEXT}[/mycode1]
      {TEXT}: must be in uppercase.
    • For 'HTML replacement', enter:
      Code: [Select]

    • For 'Help line', enter:
      Code: [Select]
      test html code as bbcode
    • For 'Settings', check on 'Display on posting page' if you would like to have a clickable button on posting page so your users can use, if not you have to remember to use it.
  • Click on 'Submit' to add your BBCode.
  • Post this in your posts or forum description:
    Code: [Select]
    [mycode1][COLOR="Red]sometext[/COLOR][/mycode1]
    sometext: some text, whatever to make it valid to show your HTML code.
  • Check the result. Wow! it works fine.


Hope this helps.

Feel free to post here if you have any questions, we and other members can help you.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:35:10 am by freeforum »

Offline freeforum

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:18:35 am »
Quote from: Ken Ganshirt;516037
Help!!! In my phpBB2 board I display a clock in my Board Description using HTML. I have tried to use your instructions to create a BBCode to replace it but I cannot figure out how to make it work.
 
I want to make a custom BBCode called "clock".
 
I want to use this HTML to display the clock:
 

 
Can you please tell me exactly what to put in BBCode Usage[/I] and HTML Replacement[/I] so I can achieve this? Thanks for your help.
 
...ken...
This feature is only available for phpBB3 that we will switch over. For phpBB2, you can insert HTML directly without BBCode.

Offline Ken Ganshirt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:05:02 am »
Quote from: freeforum;516049
This feature is only available for phpBB3 that we will switch over. For phpBB2, you can insert HTML directly without BBCode.
I know that!!!
 
I said in my original message that I'm already using the clock thing in my phpBB2 board. It works great. But it's HTML code.
 
I want to continue to display the clock in my forum after you convert to phpBB3.
 
In the phpBB3 test conversion of my forum I've tried following the directions in your original post in this thread and I can't figure out how to make it work. I've tried every combination I can think of and no joy.
 
I am out of ideas.
 
I need you to please tell me exactly how to make it work in phpBB3 using the HTML I quoted in my previous message and the BBCode substitution method described in the original post of this thread.
 
...ken...

Offline freeforum

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 06:10:52 am »
Quote from: Ken Ganshirt;516073
I know that!!!
 
I said in my original message that I'm already using the clock thing in my phpBB2 board. It works great. But it's HTML code.
 
I want to continue to display the clock in my forum after you convert to phpBB3.
 
In the phpBB3 test conversion of my forum I've tried following the directions in your original post in this thread and I can't figure out how to make it work. I've tried every combination I can think of and no joy.
 
I am out of ideas.
 
I need you to please tell me exactly how to make it work in phpBB3 using the HTML I quoted in my previous message and the BBCode substitution method described in the original post of this thread.
 
...ken...
I understand you now, but sorry phpBB3 only allow plain text in board/site description. Please use it as forum description at this test forum 1234546 • Index page.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Offline Ken Ganshirt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:12:29 pm »
I still want to display the clock somewhere on the main index page of my forum. Can you please suggest where I might be able to do that?
 
For instance, can I do it in the description for one of the forums? And can you please describe how to do it?
 
 ...ken...

Offline jennkei

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 01:32:17 am »
I'm pretty psyched about the subforum option phpbb3 will give me, so yay. :) Thanks to freeforum for the work! Mustn't be easy ironing the bugs. Just a question -- for the mods, do I need to re-request those I currently have (shoutbox, top five posters, recent topics, I believe) when the convert comes in, or will they be automatically in?

Offline freeforum

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 05:40:43 am »
Quote from: Ken Ganshirt;516127
I still want to display the clock somewhere on the main index page of my forum. Can you please suggest where I might be able to do that?
 
For instance, can I do it in the description for one of the forums? And can you please describe how to do it?
 
 ...ken...


You can put it in the description of one of forums. To do it, please follow instructions below:
[LIST=1]
  • Log into your fourm as Administrator -> Click on 'Administration Control Panel' at the bottom of any pages -> Verify your administrator permission again.
  • Click on 'POSTING' tab -> click on 'BBCodes' under 'Messages' -> press on 'Add a new BBCode' button
    • For 'BBCode usage', enter:
      Code: [Select]
      [clock]{TEXT}[/clock]
    • For 'HTML replacement', enter:
      Code: [Select]

    • For 'Help line', enter:
      Code: [Select]
      my clock or whatever you want
    • For 'Settings', check on 'Display on posting page' if you would like to have a clickable 'clock' button on posting page so your users can use, if not you have to remember to use it.
  • Click on 'Submit' to add your BBCode.
  • Post this in your posts or forum description:
    Code: [Select]
    [clock][COLOR="Red]sometext[/COLOR][/clock]
    sometext: some text, whatever to make it valid to show your HTML code.
  • Check the result. Wow! it works fine.


Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Offline Ken Ganshirt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 11:58:30 am »
Quote from: freeforum;516140
You can put it in the description of one of forums. To do it, please follow instructions below:
 
....
 
5. Check the result. Wow! it works fine.
 
Hope this helps.
Nope. I tried that before. But just in case I made an error before, I tried it again. I have spent another 30 minutes trying it exactly as you show and also other variations and none of it works. It doesn't work in forum descriptions and it doesn't work in posts.
 
My test phpBB3 forum is Ken's Almost Totally Free Board • Index page. Perhaps you can take a look and make sure I did it right. It is in the forum description for the "Home & Shop Air Quality" forum. I will click the button for "Display on Posting Page" so you can also see that it does not work in postings either.
 
Thanks for looking.
 
...ken...

Offline freeforum

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 369
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
How to use HTML in posting and forum description
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:37:57 am »
Quote from: Ken Ganshirt;516145
Nope. I tried that before. But just in case I made an error before, I tried it again. I have spent another 30 minutes trying it exactly as you show and also other variations and none of it works. It doesn't work in forum descriptions and it doesn't work in posts.
 
My test phpBB3 forum is Ken's Almost Totally Free Board • Index page. Perhaps you can take a look and make sure I did it right. It is in the forum description for the "Home & Shop Air Quality" forum. I will click the button for "Display on Posting Page" so you can also see that it does not work in postings either.
 
Thanks for looking.
 
...ken...

It works for you right now. {TEXT} should be in uppercase. It won't work if you enter it in lowercase.