News:

Welcome to ForumMate.com

Main Menu

my own domain name

Started by emilycummings, September 25, 2008, 03:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilycummings

hi

does anyone know if free forum allows that people use their own domain names (without the freeforum.ca)

thanks

emilycummings

and another question.. how come this is vBulletin board and not another phpBB:)

emilycummings

wow this forum really moves eh?

lamordida

1. No, free forums does not support custom domains but you can opt for a much shorter one: yourname.tk read the following post for more info:

http://www.freeforum.ca/forums/general-discussion/437674-question-name-change.html?highlight=subdomain

2. This board is vbulletin because it is paid hosting and that is what we choose to use not that it is better then phpbb but it is more user friendly.  Additionally it is hosted on different  server than the free forums should any free forums go down for any reason you will still be able to access the support forums.  Just in case you wanted to know.

3. It's about 2AM here most people are asleep, where are you from?  If you have any other questions, I'll be up for a bit.

Cheers mate

emilycummings

thanks a bunch lamordida! i saw a lot of great replies here by you. made me remember your unusual name:)

i am on pacific time and i thought the rest of the world is too, but i guess not lol

if you are still around, pls tell me why did you find vB more user friendly than phpBB? thanks in advance

emilycummings

funny, i think you are on PST too, i just wasn't aware it was that late when i posted.

lamordida

lol. yes I'm on PST too.  vbulletin is rated more user friendly in different comparison sites and user polls.  Of course I'm talking about the older version phpBB 1.4.4, since the release of 2.0.1 there have been many advancements with phpbb that miror features, user interface, and usability of vbulletin.  The newest version 3.0.2 lack nothing that vbulletin has to offer they are actually almost identical when it comes to added features.

Here are a few sources:
vBulletin vs SMF vs phpBB - Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet  
      Comparison of current forum software | groups.drupal.org  (phpbb 2.0.21 vs vbulletin)
   ForumMatrix - Compare Them All  (phpbb 3.0.1 vs vbulletin)  

I personally prefer phpbb, hope you do too :wink:

emilycummings

thanks a lot, lamordida. that helps greatly.

lamordida

You're welcome, let me know if you need any help setting your forum.  :-)

emilycummings

i do! oh thank god for you, lady L.

actually i should start a new topic i think so i'll do that.

venkat20

Sorry U can use the Google search engine for the Process.I used the site TuckTail.com : Search, Register and Transfer Web Domain Names and More For the Domain name Registration i got the Free Blogs,Complete mail,Hosting..

jhon01

Hi
you can get free hosting and sometimes free domains by winning some easy contests or competitions. An example of a current contest for with web hosting prize is  Multiple Domain Hosting You may even find contests that give our free domains too.
Thanks!