Author Topic: [MOD] Stop Forum Spam  (Read 18760 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline tanduy2506

  • Administrator
  • ForumMate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2151
  • Karma: 110
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« on: August 05, 2011, 02:07:24 am »
Hi everyone,

I would to like to announce that Stop Forum Spam has been  fixed and integrated on our phpBB3.

If there is any problem, please contact us.

Just go ACP > .MOD > ANTI-SPAM > Stop Forum Spam to use that mod.
I notice that we don't allow to disable "Stop Forum Spam" mod for the forums created after Aug 1st, 2011.



That mod will get data from Stop Forum Spam
  • When someone try to login or register your forum, it will check username, email, IP
  • That mod use API to connect with the database of Stop Forum Spam
  • If that username / email / IP has already recognized at StopForumSpam,  that user will be lock and identified as a spammer.

  • In some case, there is just a mistake when that mod has identified s/he as spammer. You can Un-ban / un-exclude her/his information at ACP > USERS AND GROUPS > USER SECURITY :
    • If that mod has identified their Username as a spammer name, please try to un-ban / un-exclude their username.
    • If that mod has identified their IP as sending spam, please try to un-ban / un-exclude their IP. You can check your IP at Show My IP.
    • About the email, I think it's hard to believe that the owner of  spammed email is not a spammer :smiley-laughing:


Please help me to test it and let me know your feedback.
We really need your opinion to make it better.

Thanks you so much.

Offline ramook

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 287
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:53:48 am »
When i set Enabled nobody can't register so i must Disabled.....or not???

Offline tanduy2506

  • Administrator
  • ForumMate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2151
  • Karma: 110
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:37 am »
Quote from: ramook;539493
When i set Enabled nobody can't register so i must Disabled.....or not???
Oh,

Why it can happen? I'm sure that mod only disallow the username / email / IP was identified as spam.

If you think it's not right, you can disable it.
I really hope some help to find out what's wrong.

I know there is something not unreasonable, but it must help us to prevent from  spam.
You can disable it until you think that mod isn't wrong :smiley-frown:

Thanks.

Offline dutch.download

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
Spam ?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 08:48:26 am »
I allready had one user who was iditified as spammer. And this happened suddenly a few days after the member allready was registered.
Now i've got another user who allready joined my older forum but cannot  register at all.

Other blacklists exisit which are administered many Dynamic Ip addresses . I got some problems too running my own mail server.

So is there a way to check if a whole range of ip adresses are wrongly blacklisted fi.   @btinternet.com

Offline dutch.download

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
Spammer?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 08:57:29 am »
Ok got some more info.

This was the mail I received from one of my members

I have sent an email to you a week ago but got no answer. I have tried to  register on the new site but it is saying my email is spam email, i  can't see why that is as i have used it to contact you through this  forum before

I onlu got the users email address so I tested it against the database of stop forum span. The name was not listed. So that would only leave open that there coulds be some problems with a registered IP address which I do not have. This way it will only leave me no option then to disable the mod.

Offline dutch.download

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
No Way To Disable That Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:16 am »
Quote from: tanduy2506;539495
Oh,

Why it can happen? I'm sure that mod only disallow the username / email / IP was identified as spam.

If you think it's not right, you can disable it.
I really hope some help to find out what's wrong.
:no6xn::no6xn::no6xn::no6xn:

I know there is something not unreasonable, but it must help us to prevent from  spam.
You can disable it until you think that mod isn't wrong :smiley-frown:

Thanks.

I tried to disable it. A few times. If you are able to then look into my logs. But everytime I check that damned Spam bot seems to be enabled again.
Please llok into this matter because at this current state I really want this bot to be DISABLED

Thnx, Admin of ATC3.noonhost.com

Offline Paul

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 580
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
    • famous babes
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 10:58:22 am »
Hi dd
When was your forum created ?

Offline tanduy2506

  • Administrator
  • ForumMate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2151
  • Karma: 110
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:45:55 am »
Quote from: dutch.download;539531
Ok got some more info.

This was the mail I received from one of my members

I have sent an email to you a week ago but got no answer. I have tried to  register on the new site but it is saying my email is spam email, i  can't see why that is as i have used it to contact you through this  forum before

I onlu got the users email address so I tested it against the database of stop forum span. The name was not listed. So that would only leave open that there coulds be some problems with a registered IP address which I do not have. This way it will only leave me no option then to disable the mod.
Hi dutch.download,

So sorry for any inconvenient.
I'll explain more:
That mod will check the email domain first, (Ex: *@abc.com)
If the domain name was identified as a spammed email domain, it'll disallow you login.
Otherwise, it'll check the email address to identify it's a spammed email or not.

I've just disabled that mod.
We'll check again in Monday.
I'll view the log file to see what's wrong here.

Thanks for your report very much.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:53:50 am by tanduy2506 »

Offline dutch.download

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
Spam Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:47:29 am »
Ok that's fine with me. It's a good idea to have these kind of services but if the mod isn't working the option to disable it must work and it didn't

Something else because I don't want to open a new topic but are you aware that the time of the servers are not synchronized?

It's running 5 to 6 minutes ahead compared to the world clock ?

Offline tanduy2506

  • Administrator
  • ForumMate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2151
  • Karma: 110
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:29:53 pm »
Quote from: dutch.download;539549
Ok that's fine with me.

I've just checked the log file.
It's not wrong, mate.
I see there are some email domains, such as: *@live.nl, *@yahoo.de, *@live.com... They are identified as a spammed email domains.
I've just add these email domains into exception cases.
Therefor, it won't check these email domains.

So sorry for any inconvenient about that mod.

Quote
It's a good idea to have these kind of services but if the mod isn't working the option to disable it must work and it didn't

You can disable that mod. But I think that's not good for your forum.
In the log file, I see there are a lot of spammers.

Don't so worry.
If there is something's wrong, please let me know as soon as possible.

If you have any idea, please let me know.
Quote
Something else because I don't want to open a new topic but are you aware that the time of the servers are not synchronized?

It's running 5 to 6 minutes ahead compared to the world clock ?
What's the clock you want to say?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:47:08 pm by tanduy2506 »

Offline dutch.download

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 145
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
Still problems qith this MOD
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:14:25 am »
Hi, Just receive a mail from one of my members

"Can you tell me why I am banned from forum and why when I was using the forum, I have to constantly having to sign back in.
Thanks Jerry"

The users email address is from @aol.com

if the spam bot is allready identify top level (mail) domains as spam domains then this mod is of no use. This is just like other blacklist engines in which case they also blaclisted a full range of (Dynamic) Ip addresses.

I had to disable the mod again (and I hope it will stay this way) cause there are no logs of the events when users are faced with a ban.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:17:04 am by dutch.download »

Offline tanduy2506

  • Administrator
  • ForumMate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2151
  • Karma: 110
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:27:17 am »
Quote from: dutch.download;539606
Hi, Just receive a mail from one of my members

"Can you tell me why I am banned from forum and why when I was using the forum, I have to constantly having to sign back in.
Thanks Jerry"

The users email address is from @aol.com

if the spam bot is allready identify top level (mail) domains as spam domains then this mod is of no use. This is just like other blacklist engines in which case they also blaclisted a full range of (Dynamic) Ip addresses.

I had to disable the mod again (and I hope it will stay this way) cause there are no logs of the events when users are faced with a ban.
Hi,

So sorry for any inconvenient.
I've just checked and only see the email: *@web.de, *@gmx.de
I removed *@aol.com out of the blacklist. Is there any mistake here?
You can exclude the email domain in ACP.

You said it right. We need to integrate the logs into Anti-Spam ACP.
Thanks for your reports.

Offline laineyg

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »
Hi, I don't have any improvement suggestions but perhaps a list of issues encountered would help to find why it is working strangely.

1. Users who had been posting for many years and have thousands of posts were suddenly banned, the message said "your username is permanently banned" or similar words
2. The usernames did not appear in the ban list, nor did their IP or email domain, so they could not be reinstated via ACP.
3. Changing the username resolved the issue.

Offline tanduy2506

  • Administrator
  • ForumMate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2151
  • Karma: 110
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »
Quote from: laineyg;539841
Hi, I don't have any improvement suggestions but perhaps a list of issues encountered would help to find why it is working strangely.

1. Users who had been posting for many years and have thousands of posts were suddenly banned, the message said "your username is permanently banned" or similar words
2. The usernames did not appear in the ban list, nor did their IP or email domain, so they could not be reinstated via ACP.
Hi,

Do you still use that mod?
Okay, I'll add the Stop Forum Spam logs into Antispam-ACP logs.
Quote
3. Changing the username resolved the issue.
You can exclude that user.

Thanks.

Offline laineyg

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Karma: 10
    • View Profile
[MOD] Stop Forum Spam
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »
The mod is disabled for now.  We'll look into re-enabling it at a later date if we get a lot of spam.