Forum tips for starting out.

Started by Paul, August 13, 2011, 10:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

When we make a new forum most of us will

1/ want new members to join
2/ want members to be active making regular posts
3/ will want our forums to be successful

All of the above does not happen straight away, it may take a couple of weeks, a month or even several months before this happens, it all depends on the type of forum you are hosting and what you put into it.

Making too many categories, and sub forums to start with is also a mistake if you don't add enough posts, this just makes your forum look empty, to start with make no more than 6 categoies and sub forums, once your forum starts to get busy you can then add more and move posts about into the right place.

Once you have made the categories and sub forums make sure that you add something to each one, this needs to be something that will get a reply rather than a bit of information people read where a reply isn't essential.

If you don't make any new posts then others won't make any, this illustrates to your members that your expecting them to do all the work while you sit back and watch it happen.

Try and visit your forum regularly each day and respond to posts that have been made even if it just means using the thanks button, letting members know you appreciate their efforts will encourage them to continue making new posts.

Take a look at other forums that are similar to yours and see what gets replies and what members like but don't steal or copy what they have wrote as they may join your forum and tell others what you are up to.

This may sound an odd thing to do but I have done this several times and it works, create a couple of imaginary members to (1) reply to your posts, (2)make new posts from these users and you reply to them yourself, this will make it look as if you have members posting and will then encourage people to do the same.

To make an imaginary member or two go to the ACP > General > users registration settings > Allow e-mail address re-use: > yes .........(remember to change back to No once you have registered again) log out of the forum and register again using a different name, unless you tell anyone (which I wouldn't do) no one will know its you.:smile:

Paul

cont:

Adding a few simple rules will let your members know what they can or can't post
Ask members what they want by making a suggestion and ideas thread, if you don't have what their looking for they will go else where and join another forum.
Make a tutorials thread, this can be very simple advice on how to upload pictures,how to make a post,how to add a video, not every new member will have used a forum before so helping those that have not shows you are thinking of them.

When you have got yourself a few members you will need a moderator.
One way to get a moderator is to make an announcement on your forum describing what the job entails,ask any one who is interested to contact you by pm with any details of past mod history they may have had, choosing the right person is the key to a successful forum as you need someone who is dedicated to making the forum a success and someone you can trust.

These are just some of my views on making a good forum, it would be nice  if any other member could  add to this and share their experience's of success or even errors that may have cost them members in the past.

Please feel free to Ask anything if you are starting a new forum and need a bit of advice on setting out your new forum.

tanduy2506

Great job!

Thanks for your tips.
I think it's so important for all of the forum owners.
We always want to make our forum like a part of our life.
We discuss and share the things we like.
Just a comment to make us feel happy.

Actually, I love our service too much. I mean our forums :smiley-laughing:
I'm so glad to be here and help everybody like you.
Everybody likes their own forums and me too.

The time I work for here is a good time I'll always remember.

Paul

Below are some forum rules which I found a while back, the original author gave permission for them to be used so if your not very good at making up rules you may use these and alter to suit your forum.:smiley-smile:

Forum Rules

1. Treat other members with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated !

2. The forum language is English only! Please only post in other languages in PM.

3. Please do not spam. The definition of spam is an irrelevant or advertising post. Any post considered spam will be removed.

4. Please do not post threads text in all CAPITALS since this is considered to be shouting and is not necessary.

5. Please refrain from posting images larger than 800x600. This is considerate to members with slow internet speeds, and keeps the forum looking tidy.

6. Using red text is forbidden. Only moderators and administrators may use this.

7. Insulting and flaming or personal attacks against forum staff will be not tolerated.

8. Please be considerate in language you use on the forum, some of our members are younger than others. Swearing is not completely banned, just do not swear unnecessarily, and only use minor words. A filter is in place to safeguard this system.

9. No hacking, and illegal activity, such as torrents and illegal downloads, this will not be tolerated, and if appropriate, may be reported to local authority.

10. Please do not post inappropriate material, I think everyone understands what I mean by this. The policy goes that if you would not feel comfortable viewing it at work, or in front of children or parents, don't post it !

I think these rules are clear, and easy to follow. These are only in place to ensure our community is a fun place to be, and a comfortable atmosphere for all.

What happens if I break a rule ?

Depending on the severity of the infraction, a different course of action may be taken, but the usual practice is as follows :

1st rule break (Minor offence) :

Corrected, A PM may of been sent, no further action taken

For a more serious offence, a warning will be issued, this is a mark against your name letting us know you have broken a rule

2nd rule break.

Another warning

3rd rule break

On your 3rd warning, you will receive a temporary ban, the length of which will depend on the severity of the incident.

On another breach of rules :

After this it will be assumed you will not learn your lesson, so you will receive a permanent ban, meaning you will never be able to visit the forum again.

If you have any questions regarding the rules feel free to PM any member of site staff, who will be able to clear things up for you.