Looking for Calendar Support

Started by arpaia.linux, January 11, 2012, 06:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpaia.linux

Hello folks.

I am new but I do understand what forums can provide.  I'm really opening my eyes to creating an online community and there is a specific function / capability I am looking for.

I want to have calendar support on this site to post events.

Some of the old posts (going as far back as 2008 in my example) state that there are no support for calendars.  So sorry for the redundancy, but is there a modification to add calendar support to forums hosted here?  I'm looking for something clean - not a google calendar.

Please Advise.

Pixie

I agree with this idea, it'd be great to have a calendar :D

Paul

I agree a calendar would be good for a lot of the forums hosted here but like you say there does not seem to be further support from the author of that mod.

The one I found has been marked as Abandoned by phpbb.com due to the author not being active for the last 14 months.
 phpBB • View topic - [ABD] phpBB Calendar 0.1.0 (alightner)

Hopefully Tanduy will be able to say whether or not it is stable enough to install, what we have to remember is a lot of mods were designed for earlier versions of phpbb3 and may cause conflicts with other mods or have bugs that need fixing and as the mod is marked   abandoned there could be risks installing.

tanduy2506

Quote from: arpaia.linux;540889Hello folks.

I am new but I do understand what forums can provide.  I'm really opening my eyes to creating an online community and there is a specific function / capability I am looking for.

I want to have calendar support on this site to post events.

Some of the old posts (going as far back as 2008 in my example) state that there are no support for calendars.  So sorry for the redundancy, but is there a modification to add calendar support to forums hosted here?  I'm looking for something clean - not a google calendar.

Please Advise.
Hi,

We'll try to help you with our bests.
But it's like what Paul said :smiley-frown:
QuoteI agree a calendar would be good for a lot of the forums hosted here but  like you say there does not seem to be further support from the author  of that mod.

The one I found has been marked as Abandoned by phpbb.com due to the author not being active for the last 14 months.
 phpBB • View topic - [ABD] phpBB Calendar 0.1.0 (alightner)

Hopefully Tanduy will be able to say whether or not it is stable enough  to install, what we have to remember is a lot of mods were designed for  earlier versions of phpbb3 and may cause conflicts with other mods or  have bugs that need fixing and as the mod is marked   abandoned there  could be risks installing.       
This MOD was designed for phpBB 3.0.5 and may not function as stated on our phpBB versions.
I've just looked around.
I'll answer you later.

arpaia.linux

Thanks for looking into this.  Just curious if it is possible to downgrade my forum to a version that might support that mod (as a last resort only though).

My preference is to use the current version and use a calendar.  There are other sites that have a calendar application, but I'd like to stick with what you folks.

Cheers for now.

arpaia.linux

So,

Here is what I really am after.  When you scroll to the top of this very page, you will see Calendar above.

I want that kind of Calendar on my forum.  In the meantime, I have suspended my forum.  I figured to look around and when I saw you guys were using the calendar on this support forum, I thought to myself if you have a Calendar MOD that works, I'd like to use the same thing for my own site.  I know you are using vBulletin - a commercial product - but at least you can have some insight into the kind of calendar modification I am looking for.

So Paul / Tanduy, does that help your research at all?

Please advise.

tanduy2506

Quote from: arpaia.linux;540900Thanks for looking into this.  Just curious if it is possible to downgrade my forum to a version that might support that mod (as a last resort only though).

My preference is to use the current version and use a calendar.  There are other sites that have a calendar application, but I'd like to stick with what you folks.

Cheers for now.
Hi, mate,

So sorry, it's impossible to do that.
Our systems have so much forums with the huge database.
We can't downgrade your forum version because all of forums use the same source code and structure :smiley-laughing:
QuoteSo,

Here is what I really am after.  When you scroll to the top of this very page, you will see Calendar above.

I want that kind of Calendar on my forum.  In the meantime, I have  suspended my forum.  I figured to look around and when I saw you guys  were using the calendar on this support forum, I thought to myself if  you have a Calendar MOD that works, I'd like to use the same thing for  my own site.  I know you are using vBulletin - a commercial product -  but at least you can have some insight into the kind of calendar  modification I am looking for.

So Paul / Tanduy, does that help your research at all?

Please advise.
I know you really want to get that mod.
vBulletin is so different with phpBB3.
I hope I can help you to modify that mod.
Do you think it is necessary for other phpBB3 members:smiley-frown:?

Barkerdude

Paul

Quote from: tanduy2506;540917I hope I can help you to modify that mod.
Do you think it is necessary for other phpBB3 members:smiley-frown:?

Personally I think that mod would be great for a lot of our forums Tanduy
 I don't think you would be wasting time modifying it as I can see it being of great use to a lot of forums.
One forum I visit definitely needs it as they organise events and meetings.

@  arpaia.linux
We understand you need this mod and may choose another host (if we can not install the mod) but please be careful who you do choose , the mod is an old one that has had no updates for many years so the forum version will be older as well.
The version may not matter to you but if they do not update them then I doubt their support or service can be up to much.

Please bear with us a while longer while we try our best to get this mod, as you can see from the forum Tanduy always tries his best to get the mods and give support that members need.

arpaia.linux

I have to say that I'm impressed with what you are trying to do.  To be fair, I'm going to let you know where I am going and why I'm making my decision.  There were three sites in the running for my project.

Site #1) phpbb3now.com is a free site and there really seems to be a no ads forum, but again - the calendar mod is what I was after and they were unresponsive... but at least I was able to self delete that forum.  In some cases, you have to cut your losses and their unresponsiveness got me to drop them.

Site #2) You folks seem to have the best mix of what I want.  You do pepper the site with ads, but they don't seem to be giant out-of-control banners, and I am very much OK with that.  I want to get something that can last and you also have an option to host the forum with a domain name, which fits into my second step down the road.  To your calendar issue though, I saw through all the posts that this has been a 5+/- year issue.  I can't think that my lone request can make a difference, but your responses make me feel that way.  So I am keeping this forum but not allowing any sign-ups now.  That said, you're not #1 and you are not dead in the water either; I want you guys to be my forum hosting provider and maybe as you read below* you might see how that can happen.

Site #3) Then there is ForumMotion.com, which offers a calendar options w/o a modification.  It's just there for me.  Yes, it is a "modification" for them, but for me, it's zero work and research on my part getting it in there.  I do not like their points system nor do I like the fact that their advertisements take up lots of screen real-estate.  That's the last thing I want on a community site that I intend to build out by word of mouth.

*In all honesty, you might want to look into that to see if there is a similar mod w/their version of phpBB3.  I have to believe in the whole concept of open source, but you folks are fighting for business and mindshare.

Eventually, you want to make money, I get that.  I think this calendar effort would be a great way to win that future business... or at least mine if the forum idea takes off.

Cheers folks... I'm still in development mode here, so it 'aint over!

-MikeA

arpaia.linux

ForumMate Members

If you have been scanning my posts, please take a look at this whole  thing and then take a good look at this quote from Tanduy...

Quote from: tanduy2506;540917Do you think it is necessary for other phpBB3 members:smiley-frown:?

Take another look at this quote from Barkerdude in response to Tanduy...

Quote from: Barkerdude;540918yes i don't mind it

It's time for the good old "voice of the consumers" to make a difference!  Please, if you have a need or want a supported calendar modification, make yourselves heard in this post.  I really like these guys @ForumMate.com and want to use them as my forum's home.

Who's with me???

Paul

Quote from: arpaia.linux;540940*In all honesty, you might want to look into that to see if there is a similar mod w/their version of phpBB3.  I have to believe in the whole concept of open source, but you folks are fighting for business and mindshare.

Eventually, you want to make money, I get that.  I think this calendar effort would be a great way to win that future business... or at least mine if the forum idea takes off.

Cheers folks... I'm still in development mode here, so it 'aint over!

-MikeA

You would be surprised If you knew what we are trying to do for you.
As said before this mod does not work on our version as it does on earlier versions, Tanduy is trying to modify that so it does work........this is how committed we are to helping make your forum how you like it.

As for the other forums, don't believe what you read ...ad free? No.....its only free off ads for several weeks or once you use paid hosting, as for the other one you will find out exactly what they are like after a few weeks (I still hate them even after 15 months of being here )

tanduy2506

Quote from: arpaia.linux;540941It's time for the good old "voice of the consumers" to make a difference!  Please, if you have a need or want a supported calendar modification, make yourselves heard in this post.  I really like these guys @ForumMate.com and want to use them as my forum's home.

Who's with me???
Great,
Is it a revolution yet? :smiley-laughing:
As Paul said, I also think that mod is very useful.
It need to be changed so much.
And maybe there are some functions don't work properly.
We'll try to test this mod.
Hope it will be fine, mate.

arpaia.linux

Thanks mates... I really do appreciate this and I will be patient and hang in there.

Warmest Regards... MikeA

arpaia.linux

So... how goes the research mates?